Saturday, June 14, 2014

Psylocke


Psylocke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psylockehas one of the most convoluted back stories of all the X-Men women . At her most iconic she's a telepathic ninja who can stab you in the brain with 'psychic knives'. She really likes wearing a bathing suit as a costume, with a lot of unnecessary straps.
Getting The Look
Probably one of the more difficult Marvel looks to put together in DC Universe Online because of the rarity of the League of Assassins chest piece. All the other style pieces are easy to obtain, with one key component purchasable with Station Cash from the Marketplace.

My main character has always been a Psylocke clone, with this look evolving over A LOT of play time (since almost day one of DCUO). The first piece I stumbled upon was the Tech Ninja belt. It's as close to perfect as you are going to get for Psylocke's waist sash. You can pick this up very easily, and moderately cheaply, on the auction house or grind the Ace Chemicals alert treasure chest for it.

The second piece of the puzzle was the chest. Until I saw someone wearing it in the Hall of Doom I was wearing the Short-Sleeved Slimline t-shirt and Formal gloves. Not terrible, but not so great either. At that point this was the only chest piece I had seen in game that was sleeveless (I don't count Power since it has that gaping hole over the boobs), and I farmed the League of Assassins alert for it like crazy. Once I finally had it I was over the moon, but since I was wearing the Formal gloves I didn't even realise until later that hidden underneath were the arm straps! Perfect for Psylocke's ninja look.

DC Universe Online Database currently lists the League of Assassins chest style as dropping from Atrocitus in the Coast City alert. It dropped for me from Bolt Claw in League of Assassins alert, but I don't know if you can still find it there. Either way it's worth the grind.

Thigh-High boots are available at character creation and the Necromancer legs drop frequently while you're levelling up, or you can buy them very cheaply on the auction house. The Spec Ops gloves drop from the Police Station duo. I use that hand style because it's the only one I've found so far that cuts off perfectly at the elbows, leaving the two straps visible above.

Once I had all these pieces I was pretty happy with my Psylocke toon. I was using Katana as my weapon style, either One Handed or Dual Wield, alternated with Bare Hands Martial Arts... Until the Cerebral weapon styles went on sale through the Marketplace. Yes, you will need to spend some real money (about $3.00) but the Martial Arts Cerebral Claws style looks so much like psychic knives that it's really a must have for this character.
Styles
Hair: ClassicHead: NoneFace: NoneAccessory: NoneShoulders: NoneEmblem: None,
Hands: Spec OpsWaist: Tech NinjaFeet: Thigh-HighChest: League of Assassins,
Legs: NecromancerBack: NoneSkin: Human Skin 03Primary Weapon: Cerebral Claws (Martial Arts).

Colours
Palette 01: 000546Palette 02: C10000Palette 03: FFFFFFSkin: 936636Eyes: 9600F3,
Hair: 10041EMakeup: CE0000.

Body type is Monarch Small with Powerful for personality type. Serious also works.

Power, Movement and Weapon Choice
As a telepath (there sure are a lot of those in the X-Men) I use Mental powers, focusing on the Illusion tree for Psylocke. Menace is a must have, especially if you want to rely on your psychic knife weapon attacks to do the majority of your damage (something that's feasible with weapon mastery). I also like using Invisibility (with the Home Turf mod) but almost any Illusion powers work.

Movement type is Acrobatics. With Psylocke being a martial arts master, you could also use any of the abilities from the Acrobatics movement tree in your loadout. If you want access to the psychic knife Cerebral style you need Martial Arts as your weapon, but you could also chose One Handed or Dual Wield swords and still be in character.

Accuracy and Playability
The addition of Cerebral styles to the game took this look from pretty accurate to almost spot-on. The only two nitpicks I have are the embellishments on the League of Assassins chest which I could do without, and the fact that there is no long hair style that works for Psylocke. We're stuck with the Classic look for straight hair: 8/10. Mental and Martial Arts are a good combination. You can play effectively as a controller or a DPS, in PvE or PvP: 10/10.

Pictures




2 comments:

  1. This is definitely help me do my gender reversed Psylocke! Thanks and great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I would like to see that character!

    ReplyDelete